Once constructed, both Durham Region Hospice – Whitby VON and Durham Region Hospice – Clarington will need volunteers to help care for residents and to support their family members. At Durham Region Hospice we feel strongly that volunteers are a cornerstone of the residential hospice team and recognize that volunteer support can mean the world to an individual with a palliative care diagnosis.
Volunteers will be screened by staff, required to provide references, and must undergo a Vulnerable Sector Check Individuals interested in working directly with residents will be required to take a Fundamentals of Palliative Care course, which will be offered free of charge.
Volunteers will provide support in numerous capacities including:
- Providing comfort measures such as hand and foot massage and helping with position changes.
- Offering companionship including simply listening to or sitting with both residents and family members as they journey through this difficult transition.
- Assisting with transportation, shopping and kitchen duties.
- Gardening and grounds keeping.
- Light housekeeping duties.
More information about how to get involved as a volunteer will be available once construction is underway.